WHEN: Tuesday, February 10th from 12:30-2:00 p.m.
WHERE: In Good Company, 16 West 23rd Street, 4th Floor
COST: Free for members; $20 for nonmembers. Please email email@example.com to arrange payment by PayPal or pay at the event.
The Evolving World of E-books. Learn from an experienced e-book producer and digital publishing consultant how to integrate e-books into your print book development and temper expectations with real-world possibilities. The session will provide an overview of the ebook-making process with many workflow and best practices suggestions. Topics will include
· Why should ebook editions be included in proposals (marketing, readership, enhancement, regular updates, increased platforms etc.)?
· What devices and apps are available, and how do they differ? Which devices should be targeted for particular content?
· What are the different file types? Reflowable, fixed layout, multitouch. Which format should be targeted for particular content?
· What’s the difference between ePUBs (including ePUB2 and ePUB3) and Mobis
· What’s the cleanest route from manuscript to ePUB/Mobi? Why use InDesign CC 2014 for ePUB creation (and not Word or PDF).
· How about backlist titles that exist only in PDF?
· What’s the best procedure for a digital-only book?
· Should an e-book mimic the print edition’s design, flow, content? What elements can be dropped or relocated? How can the print edition be enhanced (extra content, color, accessibility) without going overboard?
· How can book producer, author, editor, and designer collaborate with the digital developer at the earliest stages of a project?